Friday, August 17, 2018

7 Layer Dip

Hello my dearest readers

So today the recipe I'm going to share with you is my signature dip at most of my parties. My guests expect it to be there on my menu and I've been told they really look forward to this one. It's a classic Mexican Dish with it's first layer as the re-fried beans. But over the years chefs have played along with different takes on each layers. I tried it a few years back and over time have come up with this refined recipe.

I've completely omitted the Guacamole in it as my husband doesn't like it and later realized it was better to leave it out as firstly the perfect avacados are not easy to source and secondly it was just too much of a hassle to make sure they're absolutely at the right stage. Not too ripe or unripe. I thought it best to leave out. 

All the layers are home made although you could use some store bought stuff as well and just assemble it. If making everything from scratch you could make some of it in advance like a day before and put it together later. I'll let you know details in the recipe notes.  This recipe could look daunting but believe you me, once you get to making it, it'll take you hardly anytime to get pro at it. It's a great dish to have at your party and makes a big batch easily. So let's get on with it.




Prep Time: 1 hour
Assembling time : 15 mins
Yields: 18-20 servings


Layer 1:

Re-fried Beans
(Store bought is just fine but this is a simple process to make it at home)

1 Cup Soaked Kidney Beans (Soak it overnight)
Taco Seasoning
1 Bay leaf
1 medium sized chopped onion
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Method:

Boil soaked kidney beans in a pressure cooker with a bay leaf to make it soft. Once cooled mash it with a hand masher. (Remove and throw away the bay leaf)
Heat oil in a a pan. Add onions and saute till soft. Add the mashed beans and taco seasoning. Let it cool.
This can be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated.


Layer 2:

Sour Cream
(Store bought is just fine but this is a simple process to make it at home)

200 ml Fresh Cream (Only the thick part not the liquid milk that comes with it)
2 tsp Lemon juice

In a bowl take fresh cream and add the lemon juice. Do not stir it. Keep it in the fridge to chill for an hour. Take it out after it chills completely, mix it and keep it to chill in the fridge again till you need to use it to assemble the dip.

Layer 3:

Salsa
(This can also be used just as is with tortilla chips and makes for a great dip at parties)

2 diced Tomatoes 
2 small Onions diced 
1 small Green Pepper 
1 cup Coriander
1 Jalapeno, seeded
2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
Juice of 1 Lime
3 small Cloves of Garlic
1 tsp of Sugar
1/2 tsp of Cumin
1/2 tsp or Oregano
Salt to taste

Method

Add all of the ingredients into a food processor, pulse until you reach a chunky consistency. Pop it in the fridge to use while assembling.

Layer 4

1 Cup Grated Cheese of your choice. 
(I personally like to use a combination of Cheddar and Regular Processed Cheese.)

Layer 5

1/2 Cup Spring onions

Layer 6

Black Olives
(P.S: I've left out the olives in the dish I made this time as my husband isn't very fond of it. Hence you can't see it in the pic. But it adds a lot of character to the dish so unless you don't really like it, do add it)

Layer 7

1/2 Cup Chopped Tomatoes


Assemble it layer wise and there! You have an impeccable dish to serve. You could pair it with Tortilla Chips or Pita Bread or Garlic Bread. The choice is your and list is endless.

Hope you give it shot and let me know how it goes ;)

Happy Cooking
Ms. J











No comments:

Post a Comment

Easiest Bhindi Ever - 2 Ways

Dear Readers Today I decided to make a simple veg dish which is easy to cook and easy on the palette. Bhindi or Okra or Ladyfinger is one...